TANGY POTATO AND WALNUT SALAD
Vegan and suitable for those on a low FODMAP diet. Makes sides for about 8 people - perfect for a picnic or a potluck!
- 8 large potatoes
- 1 jar of wholegrain mustard (210g)
- Celery leaves (from 1 bunch of celery) AND/OR the green parts of 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (1 bunch)
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1.5 lemons
- optional: watercress
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius. Coat a large baking tray in 2 tablespoons olive oil and place in the oven.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Slice potatoes (I leave skins on) into small chunks (not too small though!). Parboil potatoes in boiling water for 6 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, and once they're super dry, toss them in the hot oil of the baking tray and place in the oven. Flip the potatoes around at least 2-3 times throughout the following baking process so that all surfaces crisp up.
- After 30 minutes of baking, lightly press down on the potatoes with a fork (more surface area = more crunch!).
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, coriander seed powder, remaining olive oil and a generous cracking of pepper. After 50 minutes of baking, pour this mixture over the potatoes alongside a sprinkle of salt and bake for a further 20 minutes. The potatoes should bake for a total of 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover with a liberal amount of salt and pepper, followed by the wholegrain mustard and stir through. Add the crushed walnuts, celery leaves/green onions/watercress and mix well. Serve hot and crunchy, or eat it straight out of the fridge as a refreshing, tangy potato salad!
- Toss the potatoes around in a metal colander or scrape them with a fork or knife after draining them in order to create the most crunch!
- After draining your pot, immediately put it on back over the heat and add the potatoes back in, stirring constantly. The dry heat in the pot will help evaporate any remaining moisture before baking the potatoes.
- Ensure the oil in your baking tray is super hot when you add in the potatoes - you'll hear them sizzle and it'll be wildly satisfying!